La Dolce Vita (1960)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



La Dolce Vita (1960)

So, La Dolce Vita. Fellini's grand masterwork, at least one of them. It's a great film, but to me, felt a little long. I'm not one to complain, but I'm just not a fan of long stories. And it's funny, I don't really think that there was anything unnecessary in La Dolce Vita, nothing I think stood out enough for me to say it should have been edited out, it's just that the entire film seems a little too long. But, it is what it is, and it's a great film no less, a tour de force if you will.

I guess Marcello, the lead character, is in search for something more in his life. It's strictly implied by Fellini, which helps the movie along far more than something heavy-handed would. He's sometimes asked about the book that he's been working on, but we never really know anything about it, and Marcello himself shrugs it off. What I found most interesting was the struggle between his searching for something more and simply miring in 'la dolce vita'. Really, there is no struggle, as you'd expect. It's very slight, something that manifests itself sometimes. Most of the time, Marcello's decision is already made, and he's simply living this empty life, content to be drunk and ignorant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger