Harakiri (1962)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Harakiri (1962)

I've heard great things about Harakiri, so despite the USPS's fumblings, I finally procured a copy! And that said, it's truly an awesome piece of filmmaking. For the longest time, I've wanted to see Kobayashi's Kwaidan, but for one reason or another, I still haven't. Kind of funny that I'm seeing a DVD released years after I wanted to see Kwaidan, before Kwaidan. But Criterion, she is a cruel and fickle mistress.

It seems to me that most Japanese films, and not just those by Ozu, are filled with a certain stillness. It just seems to be a natural characteristic, and definitely lends them a unique feel. Harakiri is no different, and the sense of stillness, in terms of editing and camerawork, even spilling over into the performances, really does a lot for the tension. I'll have to say that it's one of the most suspenseful films I've seen in a while. I really couldn't wait to see how everything unfolded, right until the credits rolled. But, it's very story-based, and as interesting as it is to see it all play out, I have to wonder how it would hold up under repeat viewings. But, that's probably just a moot point.

Most interesting to me was the ritual of harakiri itself, of seppuku in Japanese. I knew some things about it, but the sense of ritual in the film is fascinating. They have to lay out a mat for the samurai, with a second samurai waiting beside him. He reaches towards a wooden stool, picks up his sword, and plunges it into his stomach. He then pulls it to the side, literally spilling his guts out in front of him. When the second is satisfied that he's sacrificed enough, he cleanly decapitates him, ending his suffering. Wow. Just wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger