L'Atalante (1934)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



L'Atalante (1934)

I first really started paying attention to L'Atalante when I read Truffaut's book, The Films In My Life. He wrote a great chapter on Jean Vigo, who unfortunately died at 29 after only making 3 films. Truffaut had nothing but praise for Vigo's films, especially L'Atalante. In fact, he never shut up about it.

I don't know why, maybe it's the generation gap, but L'Atalante didn't do much for me, emotionally nor did it do much to hold my interest. The storyline was intriguing enough, and I love a good romantic drama, but the film just felt dated to me, I suppose. Kind of antiquated. Which is strange, because, by comparison, Renoir's films feel very fresh and lush to me.

Although, I did enjoy seeing Juliette's turmoil in the film. Here, she thought that she was marrying this seafaring man and going to travel to grand places and have adventures. But, instead, she's left to languish on the stuffy ship, performing menial chores. Finally, she meets a Parisian entertainer who, in so many words, offers her everything that she's been wishing for. Oh, what's a girl to do?

The high point of the film, of course, is Michel Simon's fantastic performance as Pere Jules, the ship's first mate (?) He really steals the show, and dominates just about every scene he's in. It's not really an attention-grabbing role though, so it doesn't ruin the picture, just accentuates it and adds to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger