Ugetsu (1953)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Ugetsu (1953)

I saw Ugetsu a while back, when IFC ran it as part of their Samurai Saturday lineup. It was rumored to be a future Criterion release, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Then, months later, I realized I remembered nothing about it. I remembered some of the plot, but nothing else at all about the film. Then, I learned about Mizoguchi's stature in the film world, so I figured a re-watching was in order, and this time, I think I'll be remembering it.

It's really kind of a simple story. Two men from a small village decide to pursue their dreams in the big city. One man wishes to become a samurai, much to everyone's chagrin. The other wishes to become prosperous, working hard to make clay bowls and selling them in the town. He's pretty successful, making enough money to buy his living wife nice things. But, before long, his ambition takes over as well, as he worries more about his pottery than his own life when bandits begin to raid. Then, of course, he falls in love with a mysterious woman who lives in a nearby castle. Yeah, pretty sure where this one is going.

The imagery of the film is beautiful though, as are the atosphere and feel. In fact, even the plot is well done, I thought. Mizogushi does a fantastic job of not only filling the film with beauty and emotion, but actually making you care about the plot. I can't wait to track down more of his films to see if they're a good as Ugetsu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger