Children of Paradise (1945), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Children of Paradise (1945)

I had pretty high expectations for Children of Paradise, namely because it's called the greatest French film of all-time by many. I wouldn't go so far as to agree, but it is a great film nonetheless.

I was impressed with the characters in the film most of all. They're all effortlessly developed very quickly, and you have a sense of who every character is and what they're about almost instantly. You spend the first half of the film getting to know and care for these characters and in the second half, which takes place two years afterwards, it's almost like you're catching up with old friends. You're re-introduced to them one by one, and learn what they've become in this time. It's a heartwarming feeling.

In fact, the main character, Garance, seems to be an enigma at first, not only to her suitors but to the audience as well. She moves gracefully from one place to the next, always leaving a newly-smitten man in her wake. Out of the four men who woo her, it's hard to believe that she can't find one that she'd like to be with. Only in the second half do you really begin to understand her. She reminded me of a girl I used to know, Veronica. Very much the same way, she had guys clamoring for her, but none of them ever understood what they couldn't offer her. Eventually, we fell for one another, and it felt so alien as I was able to get a glimpse into the soul of a girl who everyone deemed unknowable. Children of Paradise gives me much of the same feeling.

I think it's pretty interesting to note the structure and plot of the film. In many ways, it resembles a standard melodrama or tragedy. In this way, it mirrors the plays the characters themselves perform onstage. Likewise, you can find many similarities between the characters and the characters that said characters portay.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

About an hour into Colonel Blimp, I wasn't too impressed. I've seen many films like this before, and this didn't seem to have much new to offer. Soon, the main character, Clive Candy, befriended a Prussian soldier who couldn't speak any English and I couldn't help loving the picture. From then on, I was drawn into Candy's story and really enjoyed it.

I'm not big on war films in general (no pun intended), but Colonel Blimp really isn't a 'war film'. It's definitely a character study, based on a person whose profession happens to be in the British Military. It deeply examines Candy and just what kind of person he is. It shows his ups and downs, the big moments and the small, all the things that make him Clive Candy. In the end, he's an old man, in many ways, out of touch with the world around him. It's all changing, and despite his best efforts, he's being left behind.

I don't really like technicolor films, mostly because they're so bright. I understand that it's a necessity, due to the technicolor process. But still, they always seem so much brighter to me, it makes the fact that everything is constructed and false evident. Although, it does add a great touch of whimsy and beauty to a frame, it's just a matter of personal preference to me. Technicolor or not, a great film is a great film. I have to wonder how many times the crew of Colonel Blimp misspelled Technicolor. Technicolour?


Exiled at 24fps has some good thoughts relating to subtitles and how they affect the viewing of films. Definitely worth a read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger