Steamboy (2004), The Exterminating Angel (1962)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Steamboy (2004)

I didn't have the highest expectations for Steamboy, going in. It only averaged 6.9 on imdb.com and quite a few critics dismissed it as sub-par. I'm glad to report that it exceeded my expectations greatly. It's a fun anime romp, plain and simple. Plenty of great action setpieces abound, and a serviceable plot. The setting, the 1800's steam era, serves the movie very well, and adds a nice atmosphere that you don't get from conventional anime.

There are a few passing similarities between this and Akira. They both center around young children who must rise up and save the world. And they both involve something big kicking all kinds of ass. It's very different from Akira though, as far as I can remember. There's a great sense of morality in the film, too. I think it'd be a great flick for kids to see, not only for the action and animation, but for the anti-war message it delivers.

Early on, about 10 minutes in, the main character, Ray, bashes another kid in the head with a brass valve for insulting his Father. After this, he walks home and begins to tinker with his gadgets happily. This really bothered be, because I thought this made me hate the character, because he could do such a thing without remorse, and we're supposed to identify with him afterwards. Though, soon enough, he gets punished by his Mother for it, which alleviated my conscience about it. I guess I was just bothered because they didn't show the consequences for his actions, but I'm glad that they did.

The Exterminating Angel (1962)

I've only seen 5 Bunuels before this, and I haven't been entirely impressed. I saw Bourgeiose and was pretty much baffled and not very amused. After that, I saw los Olvidados, Simon of the Desert and Belle De Jour and gained a better appreciation for Bunuel's craft and style. In fact, I feel like revisiting those now, since I've read a lot about Bunuel and understand his style much better. Maybe it's for that reason, or maybe not, but The Exterminating Angel is my very favorite Bunuel thus far.

I was in hysterics throughout most of it, which is far more than I can say about Bourgeoise. It was such a brilliantly executed attack on the idle rich and the entire 'class' system in general. I was thinking that it might not have much relevence if made today, but then I started to wonder...

A big deal is made of WHY exactly they can't leave the room. Everytime I try to hypothesize an answer, I arrive at one conclusion; it's Bunuel. Maybe it's some kind of forcefield that's holding them in? Nah, Bunuel. Maybe it's some kind of psychosis they've all developed? Nah, Bunuel. Divine intervention? Nah, Bunuel. A statement on the lazy and lethargic nature of the bourgeosie? Perhaps, but undeniably Bunuel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger