ZOMFG one month annnie-vercityz!!11


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So, it's been a little over a month since I started this blog, and judging from my original intentions, I think it's been very successful. I started it, really, just to get down my own thoughts on the films I watched. I noticed that after I watched any film, I would read reviews, talk to other people about it, read essays, watch commentaries. Then, when I recalled my own feelings of the film, I was swayed more by other peoples' thoughts and interpretations, that I had no real grasp on how it originally made ME feel.

So, it's been a rule throughout that I not read anything about a film until after I've gotten my thoughts down about it. It's interesting, because in the case of a film like L'Age D'Or, it's all left to the interpretation of the viewer. So, while my interpretation may differ from the general, 'accepted' meanings of the film, it's still interesting to see how they differ, and realize that maybe, in my own stupid way, I'm right.

It's all helped though, I'm getting more of a grasp on my feelings of films, and I'm becoming far more adept at interpreting the language of cinema (although it's such an abstract idea, that being 'good' at it carries virtually no weight). I'd be lying if I said that having more people reading it wasn't a big interest of mine, but it doesn't bother me much, in all honesty. I've got a few people that read it fairly regularly and give me good feedback, so it's a-okay with me.


So, I started watching the commentary for Hiroshima, Mon Amour, and I'm realizing that I miss the most obvious things sometimes. I didn't realize that the opening shots had ash falling over the lovers, I simply assumed it was some kind of symbolic glittering effect. Also, the opening scenes of Hiroshima, where Riva's character talks about what she's seen in Hiroshima, it's not implying that she thinks she was there, but she's simply recalling the museums and tourist traps that she's seen over the last few days. I think this is probably due to the fact that I didn't know there were museums dedicated to Hiroshima, located IN Hiroshima, so soon after the incident. It makes sense, but it still seems kind of counter-productive in ways. I suppose no matter how good you think you're getting, you always miss something. heh

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Modium,
followed your post from criterion forums. Looks like a good site you have set up here, much for me to read and explore.

Just read your first thought and had one of my own - what is your take on watching movies multiple times. I started writing some of my own reviews, then when i would go back and read them i would realise that if i watched the movie again, my thoughts would change. Most of my fave films i didnt actually like much the first time i saw them, but later i got a craving to see them, watched again and fell in love. For instance, i watched hiroshima mon amor last night, and i was a bit frustrated with it at times, but i can already tell i will like it more the 2nd or 3rd time.

So i guess my point is, if you react to multiple viewings in a similar way, then how do you reconcile writing reviews, when your thoughts might be highly subject to change? or maybe it doesnt matter :) !

anyways keep up the good work, as you said even if no-one reads it it think its a good activity for ones self.

11:51 PM  
Blogger modium said...

Hey pal, not sure if you'll see this, unless you come on back, so I'm hoping that you do.

My thought on watching movies multiple times is that it's absolutely necessary. There's no movie so porous that you can absorb all it has to offer in one viewing. That's kind of why I started this, to get my own thoughts down before I was affected by any outside influences, so my opinions are solely my own. Many times I've gained a much greater appreciation for a movie after seeing it again (and again and again).

I don't really think of these as reviews, I think of them more my own notes for myself, so I can look back later on and see what I thought of a movie the first time. I expect to feel differently about a film everytime I see it. Movies are more about the viewer than the movie itself, external forces have a lot of bearing on one's reaction to a film. People change with time and experience, so the way a movie affects you will be different depending on the situation. Sometimes I've hated movies just because I wasn't in the right mood to enjoy them. In 12 Monkeys, I think, the line "The movie never changes, you change" and that's kind of the way I feel.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoy. :)

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back again. Mate you seem to be a very prolific writer and movie watcher - i think its been about a day or two since i checked in and you already have another two entries. I wouldnt mind doing a similar thing myself actually, but im not sure. I'm from sydney - wish we had netflix over here, it sounds so good. I mean we have a similar mail-out dvd rental thing happening, except good luck finding any arthouse/foreign/cult/ancient titles. Criterion does not even have a distributor out here.

Seems like im a bit like you - watch a movie (or maybe before i watch it) - get lots of info of the net and from books, read about it etc. And i guess my opinions are informed a lot by what is read, thats just how it works. Anyway today i hired out chungking express, in the mood for love, and the phantom of liberty, so if i get any reviews happening, ill let ya know! pretty keen to see the wong kar wai films as 2046 is still showing on 1 big screen over here.

anyways also thought you might be interested in this guys blog:
http://criterioncollection.blogspot.com/
keep up the good work!

exiled

5:17 AM  
Blogger modium said...

Ah, it sounds fairly dire out there, but it's still better than nothing I suppose. It's like that way in most places though, because there's plenty of stuff here in the US that hasn't come out on DVD. I guess it's the same everywhere else, too.

Be sure to let me know what you think of the films, as I've yet to see Chungking or Phantom of Liberty. I own In the Mood for Love, but it's been a while since I've seen it. See, we didn't even get 2046 in theaters around my area, so you've got that up on us!

That guy's blog is great, far more in-depth than mine is. Thanks for the link. Feel free to email me or IM me (info in my profile) if you want to have a more direct conversation, or if you just want to babble about film. I'd like to hear your thoughts on stuff you're watching.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger