Samurai I - Musashi Miyamoto (1954)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Samurai I - Musashi Miyamoto (1954)

I saw Samurai I a while ago. Netflix proves it. Yet, when it came time to man up and finish the trilogy, I found I remembered nothing of the first film. So, I re-watched it, and sure enough, it was a completely alien experience. The very end of the film held a feeling of deja vu, but I'm surprised I remembered nothing of the film. But, it's better that way, I suppose. Amnesia: Great value!

The trilogy is based on a book that's called Japan's Gone With the Wind. It's easy to see why, a very sentimental story set in a country undergoing tenuous times and great change. Splitting it into 3 films is pretty wise to me, since Gone With the Wind is very, very long. But, as far as Samurai I goes, some of the film struck me as better read than performed. But, that's just me.

Mifune turns in a very good performance, as per usual. He's often accused of overacting, and I can see that to some degree. And yes, there's some of it here. But, for the most part, he hits all the right emotional notes key to his character. He hams it up, but he wouldn't be Mifune if he didn't.

A nice start, especially when it ramps up at the end. Way to leave me hanging, Inagaki!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger