Masculin feminin (1966)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Masculin feminin (1966)

So, Godard. I've actually enjoyed most of his work, despite its emptiness. I read an interview with Ingmar Bergman a while back where he just bashed Godard to no end, and even though I like Godard, it was still pretty funny and he made some good points. He singled out Masculin Feminin, probably because, for some asinine reason, it was shot in Sweden. Bergman called it mind-numbingly boring. Try as I might to like it, I can't help but agree with him.

Maybe it's the Swedish setting, but I'm reminded of the I am Curious films. Godard seems to like to throw random intertitles into conversation for no reason at all, and it's very distracting and pretentious. There's a scene early on where Jean-Pierre Leaud is talking to Chantal Goya and they're basically just babbling, then she asks him a very deep question, one that I was interested in. Leaud's reaction is shock, he can't believe that this girl actually wants to hold an intelligent conversation and explore something meaningful. And if that's not a reflection of Godard's style, I don't know what is. The film is just meaningless conversations, a completely empty style with no soul whatsoever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger