Badlands (1973)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Badlands (1973)

I originally wanted to see Badlands because I love True Romance and Hans Zimmer lifted the main theme of Badlands for part his True Romance score. If you've noticed, True Romance is one of my favorites, most likely due to its effects on me personally moreso than the quality of the film itself. But then again, that's what cinema's all about, right?

I paid little attention to Malick, especially since I didn't care much for the Thin Red Line, though it is due for a re-viewing. But Badlands, I don't know. It's pretty good, for what it is. Good, solid characters and plot, but it didn't leave too big an impression on me.

The similarities to True Romance are pretty obvious. The xylophone theme is very romantic in a quirky, unsentimental way, and serves both films very well. Both films use a female protagonist, narrating at key points in the film, with a southern accent. Both of them state, in the beginning of the film, that they had no idea how things would end up. But, that's what they're both about. Neither woman realized that one day their lives would change so suddenly and inexorably. Yet, they got roped up in such curcumstances simply because of love.

I have to wonder, again, about Sissy Spacek's character, Holly, and what she's really like, like before she met Kit. We know a bit about her upbringing due to her character and environment, but not much else. But, I suppose that's the point, that we get to know her through the events of the film, not through previous exposition. I will say, though, Kit is one helluva likable guy, for a fairly ruthless killer. Heck, even the officers who arrest him fall under his charm. So, really, what chance did Holly stand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger