Slacker (1991)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Slacker (1991)

I tried. I really, really tried, Linklater. But, I didn't like Slacker at all. It started out fairly well, and I was intrigued by the way the film plays out, the way that it glides from one character to another, presenting small glimpses into various people's lives. The characters all seemed to be quirky and I really liked the way that they all seem to have their own individual areas of expertise, be it car mechanics, conspiracy theories or photography. But, most people's areas of expertise seems to be delivering poorly-written, faux-intellectual philosophical monologues. It kind of sneaks up on you, as the beginning of the film draws you in, and before you know it, you're rolling your eyes and looking at your watch as yet another character begins to wax poetic about the nature of the universe.

The funny thing is that Linklater seems to be making fun of these pseudo-intellectual, pretentious types in the context of the film. Yet, he is clearly one of these people himself, as writing this film and Waking Life show.

I really tried to like Slacker, I mean it. But, in the end, it just devolved into another blabfest about who knows what. I'm amazed at how Linklater can attempt to probe the human psyche, trying to explore the depth of the universe itself, then go make School of Rock or remake Bad News Bears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger