Sven Nykvist Memorial - Part 3: Crimes and Misdemeanors


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sven Nykvist Memorial - Part 3: Crimes and Misdemeanors

Crimes and Misdemeanors has always been one of my favorite Woodys. I remember after I'd seen Match Point in theaters, I thought it covered a lot of the same ground that he'd traversed earlier in this film. But, watching it again, I see that Match Point has absolutely nothing on Crimes and Misdemeanors. It does one of the best things that a film can do; it explores ideas. Even better, it gives your mind enough of a kick-start to wander off on its own and give you plenty more to think about for days after the credits roll. It's a contemplation on the very ideas of crime and punishment (sup Dostoevsky) and the things that go along. Not only is it deep, but in the segments which Woody cast himself in, it's funny and touching. Not to mention, it's easily his most cynical work. Essentially, the rich, well-to-do upper class are able to get away with murder, meanwhile, those who can't catch a break are stripped of everything they care about and any dreams they may have. Yeah, I can see why I dig it.

It's always interesting to compare Nykvist's Bergman films with those he did with other directors. Not because they're inferior necessarily, but because the two men and their work are intrinsically linked. But, I think it speaks for Sven's talent that you never think of Bergman while watching one of his non-Bergman projects. In this film, his camera adapts to Allen's style, you can see it elegantly swooping and gliding around the environments, seeking out the point that will ensure the maximum emotional impact. And, of course, his lighting brings out some of the most genuinely moving moments in any of Allen's films (this also goes for Another Woman, which I actually enjoy more). Like I said, nobody could coax feeling out of a human face like Sven Nykvist.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger