Night and the City and library Criterions


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So, I made my way through the Night and the City commentary last night. A very good overall commentary, although it did try a bit too hard to cover all the bases, so a lot of biographical information was thrown out. What I really like is learning all about the film itself, so I'm a bit biased, but it was good for what it's worth. Very interesting bits about Gene Tierney's life and Jules Dassin's exile in Europe. Besides, where else are you going to hear Stanislaus Zbyszko's life story? A couple choice bits about the lighting and framing that I found interesting, when they popped up. Things like that always show me how little I really know about cinema, but I suppose that comes with multiple viewings. I remember reading somewhere that Truffaut went to see Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes once a week, just to study the craft of the film, but kept getting so wrapped up in the plot that he forgot to note the technical details of the film. I'm that way, sometimes, I like to think.

So, I picked up quite a few Criterions from the library today; Summertime (mmm, Hepburn), Coup de Torchon, Billy Liar (recommended by Brent), Contempt, The Honeymoon Killers, and La Strada (can you believe I've only seen 2 other Fellini films?). Also got a copy of 1001 Movies Must See Before You Die, which my pal Luke (link pending) pointed out to me. I leafed through it, and it's pretty interesting, especially as a coffee table-esque book. The stills are great quality, as well. Should prove to be an illuminating week. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


modium

Previous posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger